MOVING TARGET DANCE WORKSHOP
With KATHLEEN HERMESDORF
IN CONJUNCTION COLBY / BATES / BOWDOIN DEPARTMENTS OF THEATER AND DANCE
1 - 3PM
At MECHANICS HALL
$12-20 sliding scale
MORE INFO HERE
GUT Motives [alternative dance techniques]
- An ongoing practice/research investigating corporeality from internal impulse to external expression.
- An intimate/animated arena for physical/creative exploration, deeply informed by live/original music.
- Motivated by interpretations of GUT, including good, general unified theory, viscera, center of gravity, gravitas, courage, instinct, intuition and expressive vulnerability.
- Exploring states/acts of motion/imagination through a hybrid of traditional/contemporary/alternative/intuitive forms.
- Utilizing embodiment/mobility/motivity as ways and means of perception/intuition/action.
- Deepening awareness/understanding of the body with energy work, hands-on experiments, kinesthetic/somatic improvisation, technical modalities and three-dimensional choreography.
- For movers who are curious/serious/adventurous about sensate virtuosity, kinetic efficiency, interactive intelligence and performance-level dancing.
Kathleen Hermesdorf is an international dance artist, educator and producer based in San Francisco. She directs ALTERNATIVA, with musician Albert Mathias. Hermesdorf has been dancing in the Bay Area since 1991 and teaches, performs, improvises, creates and curates around the world. Her work has been presented in the Bay Area, New York, Seattle, Berlin, Amsterdam, Ballydehob and Dakar, amongst other locations, in commission for universities, companies and independent dancers, and in collaboration with art partners worldwide. She was a member of Bebe Miller Company, Contraband/Sara Shelton Mann and Margaret Jenkins Dance Company, and co-director of Hermesdorf & Wells Dance Company with Scott Wells and Collusion with Stephanie Maher. She is the co-director of PORCH summerschool at Ponderosa in Stolzenhagen, Germany. Hermesdorf brings over 20 years of experience from the field, studio and stage to her work and holds a BFA and an MFA in Dance Performance + Pedagogy.